New bloggers are typically happy with blog awards. First, it validates their blog is actually being read by someone, second, it provides an opportunity to expand their audience through link backs.
At some point, however, blog awards become bothersome and many vested bloggers clearly state their blogs are “Award Free Zones.” New bloggers may not understand why other bloggers choose to be award free. I can only explain my personal viewpoint regarding blog awards as follows:
- They are extremely time consuming – typically there are at least seven questions “about me” which you need to answer.
- Once the “about” questions are answered you need to find nominees, typically in your list of followers, to pass the award forward. This step is difficult because many blogs are “Award Free Zones.”
- Once you have selected nominees, you must add them to your post with links to their blogs.
- Next, you must publish your post and visit each of your nominees, informing them of their nomination and provide a link back to your post.
After receiving multiple nominations for different awards, I gave a bit of thought to how I could accommodate the Nominator without bothering my followers with unwanted nominations. Here’s how:
- Add the Nominator to my “Nominator List” on the particular award’s page – Nominators are unlimited.
- Create the specific number of nominee link-placeholders with the wording “Your Blog Here” each time my blog is nominated for that particular award. For instance, The Sunshine Award requests to forward the award to 10 bloggers, so, each time I am nominated, I will add another ten placeholders to the List of Nominees – up to a maximum of thirty placeholders.
- On each award page, instructions will inform the visiting blogger to write “ADD ME” in that award’s page comment section if they would like their link to be included.
In this way of handling nominations, I will be helping the Nominator by including their link back on the award page as well as allowing bloggers, who actually want the benefits of awards, to be added to the link list.
Here is an example of how I have applied this strategy to my Sunshine Award Page.
Posted in Award Free Zone, AWARDS, Blog, Blog Awards, Blogging, Life After Breast Cancer, Writing
Tagged Award Free Zone, AWARDS, Blog, Blog Awards, Blogging, Life After Breast Cancer, Writing
If I receive multiple nominations for any award, my Nominator will be added to the Nominator List on the appropriate award page and I will add the required number of blank-space nominees (according to the specifics of the award) to my list of nominees. I will not arbitrarily nominate anyone. If you would like to be added to any of the awards I have received, write “ADD ME” in the comment section on the award page.
Also, I will update the date of the award page to the date of the latest nomination.
- October 27, 2014, Lew-Ellyn Hughes, at Lew-Ellyn Hughes nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Thank you Lew-Ellyn!
- October 15, 2014, D, at My Decade Long Travels nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Thank you D!
- October 06, 2014, Betzcee, at Betzcee Rambles nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Thank you Betzcee!
- October 04, 2014, Apparently Anna nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Thank you Anna!
The One Lovely Blog Award nominations are chosen by fellow bloggers for those newer or up-and-coming bloggers. The goal is to help give recognition and to also help the new blogger reach more viewers. It also recognizes blogs that are considered to be “lovely” by the fellow-blogger who chose them. This award acknowledges bloggers who share their story or thoughts in a beautiful manner to connect with their viewers and followers. In order to “accept” the award the nominated blogger must follow several guidelines:
•Thank the person who nominated you for the award.
•Add the One Lovely Blog Award logo to your post.
•Share 7 facts/or things about yourself:
- Sweet, gentle me is a bear if denied a full-night’s sleep.
- Autumn is my favorite season. I dislike hot weather.
- Cats or dogs – BOTH
- Digital or printed materials – Digital is my preference and I love my Kindle.
- I-phone or Andriod – Android, it suits my needs and I don’t have a contract!
- Favorite junk food – Pizza
- Favorite health food – Spinach
•Nominate 15 bloggers you admire and inform nominees by commenting on their blog:
- Insight From a Woman’s Heart
- Now At Home
- Simply Giselle
- Inspiring Max
- Pass Me Another Cupcake
- Living In Africa
- Carter Vail
- Treading Lightly
- Katy Did Cancer
Most bloggers who have been blogging for a while have built a readership and do not want to participate in awards. I have searched through my Bloggin’ Buddies and can only find a handful who might like to receive this award – many of you are “award-free” zones.
If you would like to be added to the list of nominees, or recommend a new blogger, please use the COMMENT section below and write “ADD ME.” I will add your link to the above list.