New bloggers are typically happy with blog awards. First, it validates their blog is actually being read by someone, second, it provides an opportunity to expand their audience through link backs.
At some point, however, blog awards become bothersome and many vested bloggers clearly state their blogs are “Award Free Zones.” New bloggers may not understand why other bloggers choose to be award free. I can only explain my personal viewpoint regarding blog awards as follows:
- They are extremely time consuming – typically there are at least seven questions “about me” which you need to answer.
- Once the “about” questions are answered you need to find nominees, typically in your list of followers, to pass the award forward. This step is difficult because many blogs are “Award Free Zones.”
- Once you have selected nominees, you must add them to your post with links to their blogs.
- Next, you must publish your post and visit each of your nominees, informing them of their nomination and provide a link back to your post.
After receiving multiple nominations for different awards, I gave a bit of thought to how I could accommodate the Nominator without bothering my followers with unwanted nominations. Here’s how:
- Add the Nominator to my “Nominator List” on the particular award’s page – Nominators are unlimited.
- Create the specific number of nominee link-placeholders with the wording “Your Blog Here” each time my blog is nominated for that particular award. For instance, The Sunshine Award requests to forward the award to 10 bloggers, so, each time I am nominated, I will add another ten placeholders to the List of Nominees – up to a maximum of thirty placeholders.
- On each award page, instructions will inform the visiting blogger to write “ADD ME” in that award’s page comment section if they would like their link to be included.
In this way of handling nominations, I will be helping the Nominator by including their link back on the award page as well as allowing bloggers, who actually want the benefits of awards, to be added to the link list.
Here is an example of how I have applied this strategy to my Sunshine Award Page.