Tissue Expander Replacement


Courtesy: HessDesignWorks.com

Yesterday was a long day.  I woke up at 3 a.m. and could not get back to sleep, so, I stayed up because I knew that I would be sleeping a lot post-op.  How does one start their day without a sip of water or cup of hot coffee, even if it is de-cafe?  Miserably!  I was so afraid of accidentally sipping water out of a sports bottle I had on the counter from the day before that I taped my mouth shut with regular scotch tape and believe me, that tape came in mighty handy as I without-thought went to take a sip several times that morning.

My time was occupied with sorting through medical bills and keeping updated with posting receipts and expenses to our checking account while in the background, the t.v. was re-playing old cable news from the night before.  By 7 a.m., I began to feel tired and light-headed, the kind of light-headedness one feels when their blood sugar drops or they are starving! Around this time, my husband was awakening and starting his day.  I told him that I needed to lay down in the recliner, to please phone me from work at 10 a.m. so that I could wake up for the 2nd time that day, take a shower and wait for him to come home and we could leave.

All went well as planned and we were on our way to the hospital by 11:30 a.m.  I kept sniffing my armpits which felt slightly damp, so self-conscious of odor, but knowing there was nothing I could do about it as I followed pre-op instructions and showered and scrubbed for 5 minutes with Betadine.  I washed from my collar bone to mid-abdomen and both sides, under the armpits.  My surgeon had told me that she scrubs me down again in the operating room, but, I did my part killing bacteria.


Surgery Center of Oklahoma

Arriving at the hospital by 12:15 p.m., I checked in, paid my 20% copay and proceeded to sit and wait for my name to be called.  It wasn’t an horribly irritating wait, I think maybe by 1 o’clock the nurse called my name.  I left my husband in the waiting area while I went back to the pre-op section, changed into the stylish cover-up and crawled into the torturous bed.  My blood pressure was taken and an IV was started while a nurse reviewed my medical records, “Do you smoke?”,


YIPPEE!! To what drugs am I allergic, etc…  My Plastic Surgeon also came in to visit me to see how I was doing and say, ‘Hello’.  When all of this information was gleaned, the nurse went back to the waiting area and called my husband to come in and wait with me.

Harry and I chatted, I mostly complained about being thirsty, thirsty, thirsty and just wanting to be put-out so that I wasn’t conscious of being thirsty.  Waiting is such a pain, I think it was 1:30 p.m. when I started asking him at regular intervals, “What time is it?”  Like a little kid, “Are we there yet?”


Art Illman/Daily News staff – wicked local

Finally, two other medical personnel came in to my area, one was double-checking my file information, asking about my allergies, previous surgeries, etc.. I felt really confident that so many medical persons were coming to talk with me one-on-one rather than just taking for granted what they read in a report!  Typos and misinterpretations could be deadly!  OH, I also forgot to mention that the anesthesiologist also came in to review all of the information.  That made me feel the best, after all, he’s the one who will be making sure that I’m still breathing.


Natrelle Tissue Expander

I don’t remember what time I was out of surgery and in the recovery area, I don’t remember when I was able to see my husband after surgery.  I honestly don’t remember what time we arrived home, but, I DO remember my first drink of liquid… an old,  stale, warm Diet Coke from the back seat of the Jeep from our last trip to a doctor’s office.  I don’t like Coke, or any pop really, but this one, I LOVED!!

On our way home, Harry stopped at a KFC and life was getting so much better!

At home, I was greeted by our Labs who followed me all the way over to the recliner which I had already set up with a comforter and pillow, since that’s where I’ll be sleeping for a while.

Pain was very tolerable yesterday and last night.  This morning, I was still somewhat groggy and fuzzy-headed and I started feeling the uncomfortableness of the surgery area, but none of this was anything like the first surgery, the bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.  Holy moly, that was painful.

It’s just about time to take another antibiotic and go back to resting, at this juncture, I don’t want to pull anything or irritate my fresh surgical area.





Thoughts on this?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s